NHS R&D Forum Groups
UK Research Finance Group
The UK Research Finance Group is a professional community of NHS R&D Finance Managers across the UK.The group provides the opportunity to forge professional relationships and establish a network of colleagues. It will also deliver outputs including guidance and training to support the research finance community.
It resulted from a request from UKRD (a national community of R&D Leaders established in 2017) to establish a working group of NHS R&D Finance managers specifically to explore and discuss topical and ongoing issues facing NHS R&D departments, how they impact on individual Trusts and the R&D community as a whole.
For this initiative, NHS R&D Forum is working jointly with the UKRD as there is overlap and interest in this work for both communities.
Contact the Group
Contact the group via email@example.com
Susan entered the research arena as R&D Senior Finance Manager at University Hospital Southampton in 2014. Her responsibilities include the development and delivery of financial strategy and comprehensive financial management of R&D income and expenditure. She is a fully qualified chartered accountant with vast experience of working as financial lead within the public sector. In 2019 Susan established and is chair of the UK Finance Managers Group (URD / RD Forum) which is a professional community of NHS R&D Finance Managers. It was created specifically to explore and discuss topical and ongoing issues facing NHS R&D departments, how they impact on individual Trusts and the R&D community as a whole.
Professor Philip Smith
Phillip has extensive experience of working in the NHS to enable research to enhance patient care. His current roles include Associate Director for Research at East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust, Research Ambassador for the Eastern Academic Health Science Network and visiting Professor at the University of Hertfordshire. Phillip is a long-time supporter of the NHS RD Forum and has contributed in many ways over the last 15+ years.
University Hospitals of Derby & Burton NHS Foundation Trust
Oxford University Hospital
Newcastle Upon Thyme Hospitals
East Suffolk and North Essex NHS Foundation Trust
Guys and St Thomas NHS Foundation Trust
Health and Care Research Wales
University Hospitals of Leicester NHS Trust
University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Belfast Health and Social Care Trust
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
The Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust
Central and North West London NHS Foundation Trust
Swansea Bay University Health Board
East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust
The Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust
Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust
- Lead new work related to the themes, in their specific areas of interest.
- Create resources where there are gaps
- Influence partners & invited stakeholders. Discuss their work, ask for opinions and shape policy.
- Share expertise and gather intelligence from and for the community
- Horizon scan for what is of interest to the community. Horizon scanning and conducting community surveys
- Develop consultation responses
- Act as a point of reference & contact for the members with questions or peer review
- Feed into general Forum training, conference and events programmes.
- Champion the NHS R&D Forum and our community.
- Speak for and represent the research management, support and leadership community.
- Drive the Forum forward and provide leadership
- Strategically, proposing Forum content, providing leadership and ensuring oversight of outputs
- As a point of contact, providing peer support to colleagues
- As a Task and finish, producing outputs and resources
- As a space to work out loud, sharing experience and connecting with colleagues.