We work together as a community and through excellent relationships with partners and policy makers.
Leading our Practice
- We drive solutions to new problems.
- We set standards by producing good practice and sharing collective opinion.
- We maintain a strategic watch on the research landscape
- We communicate the strategic direction of travel to the wider community.
- We work closely with partners on new and emerging areas of work that will advance practice and support research.
Shaping & Influencing
- We regularly talk with policy makers at our group meetings, to help shape and influence.
- We test ideas and suggestions for policy or work streams.
- We produce consultation responses and opinion papers.
- We share workforce issues and feedback to the community and to our partners.
- We share the insights, priorities and needs of the workforce by gathering their views through community surveys.
- We promote and advocate for research and the research community in health and care
- We influence our own local organisations with intelligence from the wider community.
Helping each other
- We support each other through the exchange of expertise and the sharing of knowledge.
- We provide a curated online repository for exchange of tools, helpful links and resources.
- We have a growing a professional learning and development programme that spans the breadth of roles and needs across the workforce.
- We provide monthly updates with all current policy, regulatory updates and news from across the community.
- We call for help and answers to questions from peers and policy makers.
Connecting and representing
- We facilitate sharing and learning through a number of events, meetings, symposia, workshops, training courses and quarterly group meetings.
- We connect members through social media and provide the biggest annual conference for the research management, support and leadership community for members across the UK.
- We host an annual non-commercial Sponsorship symposium to support networking, learning and the sharing of practice across the non-commercial sector.
- We gather and represent the collective views across our community
- We provide the R&D contacts directory as a single place for maintaining accurate R&D contacts.
- We enable links and discussions to take place between people through online forums and groups.
- Consultation responses
- Opinion papers
- Best practice guides
- Briefing notes
- Resources exchange
- R&D office contacts directory
- Communications on policy, regulatory & strategic intelligence
- Strategic insights and a strategy watch
- Community survey
- Monthly news
- Professional training courses and symposia
- Annual conference
- Workshops & roundtables
- Group meetings
- Representation at stakeholder/policy development meetings
Our 4 work themes
We have 4 work themes that influence all our activities.
To ensure health & care organisations & systems are enabled to embed research as core business through strategy, leadership & culture.
We want to see & will work towards:
- Well-led health & care organisations and systems that are enabled to develop and deliver research
- A thriving research culture across health & care systems that involves patients and the public.
- Research activity embedded in health and care as core business
- R&D well represented in strategic & policy health and care decision-making
To ensure health & care operational systems, processes and practice support well-managed quality research projects and outputs.
We want to see & will work towards:
- High quality, ethical & responsible research projects set up, delivered & reported efficiently and effectively across the UK
- Confident and capable non-commercial Sponsors of quality research
- Operational capacity & capability for health & care research, including workforce
Operational capacity & capability for health & care research, including workforce
To develop health care research management, support & leadership practice as a professional endeavour
We want to see and will work towards
- A well-trained, competent & informed workforce
- A valued and recognised workforce
- Evidence based research management, support & leadership practice
- R&D departments as supported infrastructure
To develop our ability to better enable high value research that has an increased likelihood of an impact on health & care.
We want to see and will work towards:
- A closer relationship between research, evidence and their impact on practice.
- Less research waste
- Improved capability for evidence informed practice
Download our Forum Reviews, produced annually to document our outputs and our impact:
Click to read the 2019 NHS R&D Forum Review
Click to read the 2017 NHS R&D Forum Review
Click to read the 2015 NHS R&D Forum Review