NHS R&D Forum Groups
AI and Data Research Group
The focus of this group is the governance and ethics of research utilising previously collected data in the NHS (secondary use) and / or AI and data driven research. The aims of the group are to create a community of practice in which members can discuss and share best practice. The group will provide a space for members to discuss queries and concerns and to share documents and resources. The group will provide a collective voice for R&D professionals and engage with relevant stakeholders including the HRA, MRC and others.
Helen works in R&D at Cambridge University Hospitals and leads on the governance and ethics of data studies, in particular research utilising previously collected data and/or developing AI technologies. She has been involved with the setup of several “big data” studies and databases, including studies to test/train algorithms and is responsible for developing processes to facilitate the safe and transparent use of patient data for research. Helen has a varied background in the health sector and has worked in research management and governance since 2012, as well as being a member of an NHS REC for several years. She has also conducted research into consent and secondary uses of patient data, and the governance of dementia studies.
- Lead new work related to the themes, in their specific areas of interest.
- Create resources where there are gaps
- Influence partners & invited stakeholders. Discuss their work, ask for opinions and shape policy.
- Share expertise and gather intelligence from and for the community
- Horizon scan for what is of interest to the community. Horizon scanning and conducting community surveys
- Develop consultation responses
- Act as a point of reference & contact for the members with questions or peer review
- Feed into general Forum training, conference and events programmes.
- Champion the NHS R&D Forum and our community.
- Speak for and represent the research management, support and leadership community.
- Drive the Forum forward and provide leadership
- Strategically, proposing Forum content, providing leadership and ensuring oversight of outputs
- As a point of contact, providing peer support to colleagues
- As a Task and finish, producing outputs and resources
- As a space to work out loud, sharing experience and connecting with colleagues.